Monday, January 14, 2008

Wisdom from My Dentist

Last week, while getting my teeth cleaned, my dentist and I chatted about our kids.

"How old are your kids," she asked.

"Nn and Fr," I managed.


She spoke about how nostaligic she was for the early years of child-rearing, when you are everthing to your children - and their love knows no bounds.

"I'm sure at the time I was exhausted," she admitted, "but I miss those days."

That night, while playing together before bed, my son looked at me, smiled, and said, "I love you Mommy."

"I love you, M," I answered.

"I love you Mommy."

"I love you, M."

This went on for about ten minutes. Under any circumstance, this would have been a sweet and deeply gratifying little conversation. But after talking with my dentist, I was able to appreciate it even more.

There is no doubt that it is exhausting to constantly be needed. I find that I am often desperately waiting for the bedtime, the nap, the 10 minutes off. And there is no doubt that I, too, will look back on these years with nostalgia and with longing.

It is an amazing blessing to be loved so much.

2 comments:

Patsy Dupre said...

The best gift a mother can receive is the love of her child. The love between a mother and a child doesn't have a price. A mother is relieved of all her burdens when her child loves her back. I commend you and your dentist. :)

Edmund Falkner said...

I'm glad you have a dentist who is wise and caring. Now I know that the first years of parenthood are the most memorable between a mother and her child.