Friday, January 09, 2009

Dark Chocolate Mousse!

Tonight I am hosting Babydaddy and his new girlfriend (who, I hope to G-d, is fertile) for Shabbat dinner. I'm not that nice. I'm just working all day and don't want to miss seeing my baby after 5 pm. And I also don't want the little miss taken out in the freezing weather in the middle of the night. This is a man I'm currently suing for custody. This is a custody case requesting that I be permitted to take my baby into a country at war. We won't even go into the war. I did that last post.

All I can say is, Mousse!

This mousse won't bring world peace, and it probably won't even make you a better person. But it will sure make you feel better. One little bite fills you with unreasonable joy. It can be parev, depending on the chocolate you use.

Dark Chocolate Mousse

Ingredients
12 oz. semi-sweet or bitter sweet chocolate. I use ghiradelli.
6 eggs, separated
1 tsp. instant coffee (dry crystals--elite coffee works well because it's fine, and who really wants to drink the stuff anyway?)
1-2 tsp. Chocolate liquor (or really anything you have on hand).

Separate eggs. Place the yolks in a bowl with the liquor.
Beat the whites until stiff

Melt chocolate with the coffee crystals in a double broiler. DO NOT allow even a drop of water on the chocolate. Do not overheat the chocolate. Melt, and then turn the heat off.

Pour the chocolate into the yolk mixture and beat vigorously.
Fold the whites into the chocolate.

Refrigerate and let set for at least 4 hours. It's better if you leave it overnight. It really just improves with age, up to about 3 days.

7 comments:

Ari E-B said...

You are a much better person than many I know. If you were a more vindictive person, there might have been some "special" ingredients in there. Like laxatives.

law school widow said...

You made this recipe for me once. I still have your handwritten, coca-stained copy in my special recipe notebook. Your mousse just might bring world peace, actually. I wish you lots and lots of luck and success and happiness, my dear, dear friend!

law school widow said...

cocoa, not coca. That really would be some mousse!

Marcela Sulak said...

I'm giggling. Those are each, in their own way, very tempting suggestions...

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing. Having had this, I can say it does have the potential to work wonders. Susan

Anonymous said...

Yummylicious...divine sounding.

The Queen of Laundry said...

Why is there such a strict prohibition on letting any water into the coffee-chocolate mixture?
My recipe calls for some water when melting the chocolate (otherwise it hardens too fast) and it comes out.... well... quite good, I think. But maybe it could be better. Anyway, just wondering if you have an idea why.