Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sicky Sicky Baby

There's nothing sadder than a sick baby. For the last few days my almost-toddler reverted to his youngest days. Sleeping all day, crying a lot, losing the contents of his tummy more often than not.

Needless to say, his first stomach virus was not easy on any of us.

Stomach viruses can be nothing, a 24 hour bug. But as every parent knows, with every bug comes the looming threat of dehydration--a huge cause of infant mortality in developing countries. So there we were, just as on day 5 of his life, nervously trying to get fluids into him, hoping that we could avoid a trip to the emergency room. And keeping him close throughout the long night just to be sure that nothing horrible happened.

I'm not sure that I have anything insightful to say about this. Maybe this: though I've sometimes wished that he would just stay still for a few minutes--give me time to work/relax/breath--it was scary to have a tired, listless ten month old baby. And I was relieved this morning to have him jumping and smacking at my computer once again.

He's still on the mend, so here's what I have to say:

Refuah shleima little one, and may you be playing in the sandbox before week's end.

No comments: