Monday, September 10, 2007

One-Way Mirror

My almost 3-year old son started preschool last week. Our first good-bye was as gut-wrenching as everyone says it is. But then I realized I didn't have to totally say good-bye...a fellow parent pointed out to me that my son's classroom has this thing called a one-way mirror. Get this. I can watch him in school and HE CAN'T SEE ME. Whoever invented this thing was an absolute genius!

But here's the catch: It is almost impossible not to spend the entire day there - which makes the whole point of drop-off kind of silly. I mean, how could I tear myself away? Not to mention, I work in the building. It is like having the most fascinating, moving, absorbing TV series on all the time. Positively addictive.

That first day was a heart-breaker. I should have just said good-bye and marched right upstairs to my desk. But no. I had to watch my little boy sit in his cubby for 20 minutes holding his blanket and his bear, who he explains is also "scared of school." It was tear-jerker to say the least.

I am looking forward to future, hopefully happier episodes - to seeing my little boy have fun, try new things, and make friends. And I am looking forward to breaking myself away from the show - and getting back to business.

No comments: