Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Open Up and Say WAH

Chamudi and I both had check-ups this week, and I'm happy to report that we are both in good health. In fact, he is "off the charts" in height--no surprise to us, as he towers over most every toddler he knows.

The doctor's office used to be Chamudi's very favorite place to be. Of late, though, doctors terrify him. All the doctor has to do is take out the stethoscope and he's hysterical. Apparently it's normal for this age. I'm not too worried, though I do feel bad for him.

I understand why he doesn't want the doctor poking and prodding at him--especially when a visit to the doctor's office when you're 1 almost always ends with a shot. I was somewhat surprised to discover, however, that his doctor anxiety extends to his Ima.

I took Chamudi along with me to the doctor's office, which I thought would be at the very least a neutral experience for him. I knew I was in for trouble when I saw the fear creep into his eyes when they took my blood pressure.

Then the doctor came in and started the examination, and the hysteria began. Chamudi was beside himself. Fortunately, an impromptu performance of The Itsy Bitsy Spider saved the day (the doctor even joined in ). And then it was over, and he was fine again.

I wonder...what did he think they were doing to me? Why was he scared for me? And what is it about doctors--even happy, funny, friendly doctors--that terrifies him so, when he is willing to smile and play with any other stranger that comes his way?

Meanwhile, I'm flattered that he worries about me. In this dog-eat-dog world, it's nice to know that Chamudi's got my back.

No comments: