Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Ours Is Not To Reason Why. Ours Is To Keep Answering After 1000 Whys.

I am slowly going insane.

Why?

Because I think my daughter wants me to take a long walk off a short pier.

Why?

Well she’s not really doing anything mean or evil, she’s just being a normal and inquisitive 3 year old.

Why?

Well she just wants to know a lot about everything I am doing and why I am doing it.

Why?

Well I guess it’s because that is the way that 3 year olds learn all the random stuff that there is to learn in the world. But man, sometimes I feel like she is trying to annoy me on purpose.

Why?

Well for instance she will start pondering why she needs to be quiet when I am putting her brother down for rest. Or start asking me why I am still wearing a shirt I slept in to school in front of her teachers. Or once I say I have to make dinner she asks me a 30 minute series of “Why?”s until I throw a jelly bean across the kitchen to distract her.

Why?

Oh I was just kidding about that last part. I could throw an elephant across the floor and it wouldn’t distract her.

Why?

Because she is so darned focused on why! Why why why! She MUST know! And once I tell her why she asks me a new why and if I give her an answer she of course asks why to that. And if I ignore her she just won’t stop “Why why why”ing until I have to say something.

Why?

Well I have tried replying with “Z” or “Try Bud Dry” or "Because I am taller than you" but that didn’t do anything but cause further confusion.

Why?
Because she can sniff out a fake response a mile away. And the whole “Because I’m the Mommy and I say so” doesn’t do squat for her. She is way too smart for that line.

Why?

Because she is from my genes and we all know I am a freaky genius.

Why?

Because I am smart enough to know that even though all I want to do is yell at the top of my lungs, “Oh Sweet Lord SHUT UP!” or maybe just give her a teeny tiny dose of a sleep aide, I know that this is part of the wonders of growing up. And one day when she doesn’t ask me about anything anymore I’ll miss when she wanted to know why I have to crack eggs. So I guess I’ll keep answering her insanely annoying, cyclical and always ill timed Whys.

Why?

I love her, so why not?

3 comments:

amichimac said...

Just dip the pacifier in a little Nyquil and everything will be great. Listen to the experts, Mahotma, they know all.

Anonymous said...

I like the sassy retort "Well, what do you think?" It gets them thinking. And then they can continue the conversation, obviously, but it could take it in a whole, easier direction.

Unknown said...

B"H

Your daughter is about six months behind my son.

Just wait! She will move quickly from "Why?" to:

"Listen to me! I know!"

and

"You don't know. Let me tell you!"

And then there are all the costume changes . . .

who knew someone could be superman, batman, a policeman, a fireman, a dinosaur, a cowboy, and a soldier all in 20 minutes?

That's when you miss "Why?"