Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fancy-Schmancy Salmon Patties

So last week I had planned an elegant menu for a small group of friends, among whom are some of the best cooks I know. One hour and nineteen minutes before sunset, I realized the fish I’d chosen was bad. No time for more shopping.

Thanks to my friend who recently moved, I had several cans of salmon on hand. I made this up on the fly, and it was wonderful. Obviously, it would taste better with fresh salmon, but you do what you can under these circumstances, no?

Fancy-schmancy Salmon patties from canned salmon

16 oz canned salmon, which I skinned and deboned
8 oz smoked salmon which I cut into little pieces
12 oz spinach, wilted in olive oil and crushed garlic
8 oz fancy mushrooms (shitake, portabella, etc.) chopped and browned
1 small onion, chopped and sautéed in olive oil till translucent
4 oz water chestnuts, chopped fine
chopped dill to taste
salt & pepper
2 eggs
matzah meal (enough to hold everything together)

put your toddler to “work” washing salad (if they need to feel involved)
mix everything up well, pat into little cakes and fry in olive oil until brown

dressing: mix mayonnaise with wasabi, chili paste and soy sauce, squeeze a lemon into it, and stir till well blended.

It’s nice served over arugula, or, for a more soothing contrast to flavor-packed salmon, romaine lettuce.

Serves about 6


Earlier this week I was so busted by my daughter. My child was playing with Ima-Shalom’s lovely son when chamudi’s Abba made a nice bracha over a banana. This sent my girl shooting into the dining room like a little arrow: “chuice! chuice!” Okay, its now obvious the only time this child hears food brachot is over grape juice, wine and challah. And the only time she gets juice is on Shabbat. So starting this week, I’m making an effort to remember to begin teaching my daughter the blessings over food every day. How embarrassing.

Shabbat Shalom!

1 comment:

Joyous Jewess said...

So funny! My kids do the exact same thing -- assume any bracha means it's Shabbat and immediately get excited for juice (they also only have juice on Shabbat).

I was chastised by my 22-month-old son last week when I gave him a piece of challah without saying motzi first...

Shabbat shalom!