Thursday, April 03, 2008

Shabbat Recipe: 'Fancy Chicken'

Yes, it's been months since I've posted here, and I hope to get back in the habit. For starters, I wanted to share one of my favorite Shabbat recipes (I do nearly all the cooking around here, though I'm doing a lot less since Didi came onto the scene). It's a chicken dish Didi's Mommy and I have dubbed simply "Fancy Chicken" because guests assume it took hours to prepare--when it's really quite simple and straightforward.

Some of the amounts listed below are approximate, because I made up the recipe and never seem to cook it the same way twice. More to the point, it's completely adaptable--use more or less of any ingredient you want based on your tastes, or eliminate or add at will.

Two chickens, cut into eighths 
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped (or peeled apart by hand, my preferred method)
Black olives, sliced (I used 1 small can of pre-sliced) 
1 sliced onion
Fresh garlic, sliced or minced (a bunch of cloves)
Fresh mushrooms, sliced
Spinach, chopped or shredded, about half a bag
Fresh rosemary, a few small sprigs
White wine, 1-2 cups
Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Put a thin layer of olive oil at the bottom of a tin or pan, and lay the chicken in it. Put the artichokes, olives, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach evenly on top of the pieces. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Pour wine evenly over it all. 

Cook, covered, at 375 degrees (or thereabouts) for... um... until it's not raw, usually about an hour. Reheats well and can be frozen.

Enjoy. Let me know if you make it with any additional vegetables, and how it turns out.

Shabbat shalom!

No comments: