In no particular order, I don't like social networking websites because....
- my boss' husband is now my friend on Facebook and I am certain he share my updates with her.
- I have interviewed for another job and my prospective boss is on Facebook too.
- it is icky to hear about someone's separation and impending divorce via the web.
- a friend of my mother's wanted to connect with me on Plaxo but was dissatisfied when I listed her as an acquaintance and reposted that she wanted me to be her friend.
- I now play Super Mario Brothers like I did when I was on vacation from college and I played with my little sister's Nintendo (all thanks to Facebook).
- I traded caring about how many contacts I had on Linked In for caring about how many Friends I have on Facebook, and it's about the same stupid number.
- a friend new to Facebook listed herself as "interested in women" and it created a firestorm of emails amongst her friends to figure out if that was her way of coming out or a typo. It was a typo.
- I am now addicted to Scrabulous even though I really suck at it.
- my profile picture is of my child, because I don't think I have any pictures that are worthy of putting up on the internet.
- I don't want to have to hear about someone's zits, their existential crises, or what they had for lunch this way. Maybe some other way, but not this way.
- I don't want to network socially with people who, IRL, I'd never ever have an interest in meeting.
- and last, but not least, I do not ever want my little boy to think I'm a major dork because I want to friend him.
Is it a problem that I like people? I love the internet, don't get me wrong. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life communicating with my friends in 7 word spurts on Facebook!