Monday, March 10, 2008

Time to Shop for Yarn

My aunt died this morning. It's too soon to know how everyone is doing. I do know that I was having breakfast with a colleague when my cousin and my dad called to tell me, and I burst into tears. I am, to say the least, sad.

The next few days will be heartbreaking. My aunt was a tremendously courageous woman who battled breast cancer, cared for her aging mother (till her death this past summer) and took care of everyone around her. Trained as a nurse, she nursed everyone around her and cared for them with compassion and love. I could continue to eulogize her but everyone else will, far more eloquently, so I'll hold back. But this was also a woman who was a wife--for more than 40 years--and a mother, a grandmother of 4 sad little children, an aunt, a friend. We will all miss her so much.

I wish that people would stop saying "She's in a better place now" or "At least her suffering has ended". It doesn't help. The better place is HERE. We wish she didn't have to suffer AT ALL.

I made a vow to make washcloths for new babies in honor of my aunt, just like she made for my son when he was born. They are the softest, most delicious things, meant to be heirlooms but yet not really heirloom quality. I cherish them. I will go out, after the funeral, to buy yarn and learn how to do it myself. That way, a little bit of her will always be with me.

Yehi zichra l'vracha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Obviously she was a great and caring woman.
May the Almighty comfort you among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

Marcela Sulak said...

Gluckel, I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a really wonderful woman. I'm glad you're going to make washcloths! May you be comforted.