Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Easing Back In

Every once in a while, I do something as a parent that makes me feel like maybe I'm not so bad at this after all. Today was one of those days.

We had just gotten back the night before from a wonderful two-week vacation to visit the in-laws in Santa Barbara. Lots of sunshine and ice cream. Lots of time with mommy and daddy (not to mention Bubby and Zaidy). Very little school.

Needless to say, this morning, my little boy did not want to go to school. OK, that was an understatement.

I was about to pick him up and drag him screaming out the door, when I had a brainstorm. I offered to take him shopping at Trader Joe's (an errand we both love) before school. He loved the idea and put on his shoes and jacket without so much as a word of protest.

It was unexpected special time together, and we both loved it. The school drop-off was still full of tears, but so much easier than it would have been had we not taken that little detour.

As we pushed our shopping carts together at 9 a.m. I felt incredibly grateful to be able to work part-time - and be able to play hooky with my little boy with little consequence. And I felt gratified that I had the shopping idea in the first place. It was a great way to ease back into school - and back into daily life.

No comments: